I get excited when I have to bake cakes and I love to try different recipes and different techniques!
I made this cake specially for my 10 years old daughter Nirali as she got proficiency award in class 5th. My daughter always wants me to try something new and different. I wanted to try a gravity defying cake…. so for this celebration I made this cake. Both my daughters love gems and they were so excited when they saw this cake and the name of this cake was kept GEMS IN THE AIR by my daughter.
I made an Eggless Malai Vanilla Cake. For recipe, click on this link: Eggless Malai Vanilla Cake
This cake is very easy to make and you can get creative and make any theme using this idea.
Frosted Cake – 1 (I used a 7inch cake)
Thick straw – 1
Melted chocolate – 1/2 cup
Gems 10 to 12 big packets
- Bake the cake and frost it with whipped cream .
- Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes. In the meantime, melt the chocolate and keep it ready. (I need to mention… before I froze my cake I cut the cake in to 3 halves and I put Nutella in the first half and some whipped cream in the other).
- Put your star nozzle tip (or any large open star tip) into the pastry bag then fill it up with whipped cream frosting.
- To make your rose, start in the center, then slowly move your tip in a circle around the center point. Try to end in the same place each time. I did a light dusting of pink color on my roses.
- Take a thick straw and insert it in the centre of the cake. Now place small amounts of melted chocolate on the gems and stick it to the straw.
- Keep sticking more gems to give a flowing effect.
- Spread the remaining gems on the cake.
- Take one pack of gems and cut the corner of the pack. Apply some melted chocolate on the inside of the cut corner and stick it to the straw. Hold firmly until the pack sticks to the straw.
And that’s it, your anti – gravity cake is ready to impress the kids!!
- If the chocolate is too runny, the gems might fall off while you try to stick to the straw. In that case, refrigerate the chocolate and the cake for 2-3 minutes and then try again.
- The chocolate should be of slightly thick consistency, only then the gems will stick to the straw. Otherwise it will keep sliding off.
- You can make this kind of cake with fondant too.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.