Kesari Kheer is a creamy Indian rice pudding cooked with rice and milk and is flavoured with cardamom and kesar. This kheer is very easy to make and is a part of most celebrations in India. It’s a very tasty, simple to make & flavourful Indian dessert and best for the beginners. Every festival and for puja I make this kheer and add more flavors in it. This time here is a delicious Kesari Kheer recipe for you.
Basmati Rice (1/4cup or एक मुट्ठी)
Milk (1 ltr)
Saffron or Kesar Strand (1 generous pinch)
Sugar ( 1/2) or as required
Crushed Cardamom (1/2 tsp)
15-20 almonds/ badam, blanched and sliced
Pistachios, Cashew and Raisins (3 tbsp)
- Wash and soak the rice for 1-2 hours.
- Soak the kesar strands in 2 tbsp of milk or water for an hour.
- Add milk in a heavy bottom pan and bring it to boil.
- When the milk starts to boil, add the rice slowly to it. Remember to keep stirring the milk continuously.
- Now add the kesar soaked in milk and mix it evenly.
- Allow it to boil in low to medium flame till rice gets cooked well but it should be firm and soft without losing its shape.
- Generally rice takes longer time to cook. So keep mixing every now and then and make sure it is not burnt in the bottom.
- After about 20 to 25 minutes, when the milk has thickened and the rice grains have become soft add sugar, cashew nuts, almonds, pistachios and raisins and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lastly add crushed cardamom.
- Remove from heat and garnish with almonds and saffron strands.
- You can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm. or pour in serving bowls and refrigerate.
- Always add the sugar in the end.
- This kheer would thicken as it cools down.
- Keep stirring the kheer in between to prevent it from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.