This gajar halwa recipe is a bit lengthy as we are adding milk and evaporating it in the process but tastes different . There are different variations of gajar halwa recipe. Also a lot of people make gajar halwa in microwave. But I think using milk is the best way of making gajar halwa.
The Gajar ka Halwa was first introduced during the Mughal period and the name originates from an Arabic word “Halwa”, which means “sweet” and it is made from carrot (in Hindi: Gajar) so that it is known as Gajar ka Halwa (meaning pudding of carrot or Halwa of carrot). It is strongly associated with Punjab but it is not clear it originated there. The Gajar Ka Halwa is served hot during the winter
Yield: 1 Kg
Carrots (Gajar) 1 Kg
Milk 1 Liter (High fat milk)
Sugar 1 cup (More if you like it sweeter.)
Ghee about 4 tbsp (Less if you are diet conscious)
Raisins a handful
Cashewnuts a handful
Cardamom powder 1/2 Tsp
- First rinse ,peel and then Grate the carrot .I use my grater
- Put Kadhai ( I have use Futura Pressure Cooker to reduce the making time.) in low heat. Add ghee and grated carrot, and fry it for 3-4 minute.
- Then add milk in cooker and bring it to boil with grated carrot.Keep stirring the mixture so that the carrots cook in the milk, the milk solids do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Keep it on the stove till all the water gets evaporated and you get a solid mixture of carrots and milk solids.
- Cook over medium heat until all the milk gets thicken.
- Add Sugar to the mixture while it is on the stove and mix well.
- When ghee starts separating then add cardamon powder and raisins. Mix it well and turn off the heat.After that I added a 2tbsp of malai to get richness ,mix it and turn off the gas .
- Decorate with cashew nuts.
(The pics given in this recipe are of 2kgs gajar ka halva)
- If you want to avoid sugar than add crushed raisins. It is best option for sugar and good for health.
- Gajar Ka Halwa can be stored for upto 15 -20 days in refrigerator. Do not store/keep it in open for long time.
- Gajar Ka Halwa can also prepared without raisins and other dry fruits. The quantity of dry fruits you add depends upon your taste. Sugar too can be increased or decreased as per your taste.
- Gajar Ka Halwa is full of nutrition, good for all – children to aged people. Because of its nutritional Value it is also recommended for Pregnant Ladies
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.