Gulab jamun is one of the easiest and the authentic Indian dessert recipe. This time I wanted to show my love towards my family, so I thought and made these sweets in heart shape ..I am happy I nailed it beautifully .everyone loved it.
- In a large pan, dissolve the sugar in 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over a slow flame till the syrup is of 1 string consistency.
- Remove any impurtiies which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon. Add the saffron and keep the syrup warm.
- Grate khoya using grater to make sure there should be any lumps in khoya.
- In a bowl, combine the khoya, flour,rava and cardamom powder and mix well.Knead to a firm dough without using any water.Knead the dough using base of your palm for 4 – 5 minutes. This kneading will make gulab jamun softer.
- Add 1 tsp warm ghee and knead well for a minute.
- Divide this mixture into 25 equal portions and roll into rounds.
- For the heart shaped Gulab jamun- Take some dough flatten it with your palms. To get he heart haped you can either use a cookie cutter or a butter knife. I just used the cookie cutter to make the heart shapes.
- These should have no cracks on the surface as otherwise the gulab jamuns will crack while frying. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now take ghee for deep frying. Keep it on low- medium heat and drop the balls about 4-5 at a time.
- Slowly fry them, by moving them around so they are cooked evenly on all sides. It’s very important to keep the temperature to low and cook them slowly. If not the the jamun’s will brown on the outside and still uncooked inside.
- Take out them and keep it aside to cool down.
- When sugar syrup is medium hot, add all fried balls.
- While adding them in sugar syrup make sure syrup should be luck warm only. It should not be in boiling state. Otherwise gulab jamun will be soggy.
- Keep it aside them for 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio flakes.
- Serve warm or chilled gulab jamun on any occasions.
- It’s very important to keep the temp low while frying. If not the fried balls will not be cooked inside.
- When gulab jamun will about to fry you can see bubbles will start to disappear.
- Do not boil the sugar syrup too much, if that happens the sugar syrup tends to crystallize.
- If you prefer your jamun’s with just enough softness, add little less sugar syrup.
- After you fry the balls, let them rest for at least five minutes before putting them in the sugar syrup.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.