I am very passionate about cooking.
Baking is heaven to me. I always try and find new dishes .This time I am bored with my cakes, so I decided to make pastry to impress my kids …my full family loves pastry ..and I am happy I nailed it..
Recipe adapted..sana’s recipe
For The Sponge Cake
Sugar – 1 cup
Yogurt – 1 ¼ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Vegetable oil – ½ cup + 2 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
All purpose flour – 1 ¾ cup (sifted)
Milk – 1 ½ tbsp
- Grease a square cake tin and line it with parchment paper. Keep it ready.
- Whisk together sugar and yogurt till well combined. To this add baking powder and baking soda and mix well.
- Keep this aside for about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil and essence to this and combine well.
- Add the sifted all purpose flour little by little and combine well. Pour this mixture to the cake tin and spread it evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree and bake it for about 30 minutes. Take the cake tin out of the oven and brush it with milk.
- Again bake it for about 5 – 10 minutes at 180 degree (till a wooden skewer inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Take it out of the oven and cool it at room temperature for about 25 minutes. Remove the cake carefully from the cake tin and cool it completely at room temperature.
For The Filling And Icing
Whipping cream – 1 ½ cup
Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp
Condensed milk – ¼ cup
Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Water – ¼ cup
Pineapple essence – 3/4 tsp
Pineapple – ½ cup (cut to very small pieces)(or 1/2 cup canned pineapple)
Pineapple and cherries – for garnishing
- Take the whipping cream in a chilled bowl and whip well. Just before soft peaks are formed, add powdered sugar, condensed milk and vanilla essence and whip till soft peaks are formed. Cool it in the refrigerator covered.
(you can use only whipped cream also)
- Bring to boil sugar, water, chopped pineapple and pineapple essence. Remove it from flame and cool it completely. Move the pineapple pieces from the sugar syrup to another bowl (I used canned pineapple ).
- Cut the sponge cake to two halves, sprinkle little sugar syrup all over.
- Spread little prepared whipping cream all over. Top it with the pineapple pieces. Place the other half of the cake over this. Again sprinkle the sugar syrup all over.
- Top it with the remaining whipping cream. Cut it to 8 pieces and garnish with pineapple and cherries. Serve cooled.
- You can use any fruits of your choice
- You can make chocolate pastry using chocolate cake .
- You can use dry fruits
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.