I have lot of frozen mango pulp in my refrigerator. I decided to make some dessert out of it which would be different and also an easy one because Diwali time is a busy time and sometimes it seems like there should be 48 hrs in a day.
I read this recipe from Tarla Dalal ji. I made a cooked version of Sandesh. I present my Sandesh in my favorite shape ❤. My family and friends loved my recipe. I am happy to make these cute Mango Sandesh hearts.
Traditionally Sandesh is made with fresh homemade chenna and sugar. I add some mango pulp in this recipe to give a twist. Mango Sandesh recipe, a tasty, easy Indian sweet made with chenna, mango puree & sugar.
Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 25 min
To make chenna or slightly moist paneer:
Milk – 1 1/2 liters
Curd – 3/4 cup, beaten till smooth
For mango Sandesh:
Powdered sugar – 1/3 cup
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Mango puree – 1 1/3 cups, freshly squeezed mango pulp blended till smooth (I used my frozen pulp for this recipe)
Pistachios or almonds – finely chopped for garnish
Melted dark chocolate for decoration.
- Heat 1 1/2 litres milk in a heavy bottomed vessel and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and very slowly add whisked curd and keep stirring continuously.
- The milk will begin to curdle and milk solids start forming along with a thin liquid called whey. If the milk is not curdling after adding the entire curd, add 1-2 tbsps of curd to curdle it. Turn off heat.
- Immediately add 10 ice cubes to the vessel to stop further cooking of milk solids. Allow to rest for 5 mins.
- Take an empty vessel and place a sieve over it. Cover the sieve with a wet muslin or cheese cloth and pour the curdled milk into it. The whey will collect the bottom of the vessel and the curdled milk solids (called chenna) will remain on the top. Set aside the collected whey that can be used to knead chapati dough.
- Pour 2 to 3 cups of water over the chenna to wash off any sourness that it might have.
- Bring the edges of the cloth on all four corners and gently squeeze the milk solids (chenna) once or twice so that excess liquid is removed.
- Tie a knot so that you can hang it at a height for the excess liquid to drain. Set it aside for at least 45 mins. You will have moist paneer or chenna ready to make Sandesh.
- Place the chenna on a wide plate and knead it gently for at least 8-10 mins till it forms a smooth mixture. Add powdered sugar and cardamom powder and mix well to combine.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add chenna-powdered sugar mixture and cook on very low flame stirring constantly. Since we have added sugar, it will become a soft gooey mixture.
- Add mango puree and Continue to cook on low heat till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. It will become a soft lumpy, dough like mixture.
- Turn off heat and place the mixture on a greased plate. Allow cooling slightly so that you can handle the mixture with your hand.
- Knead the mango mixture lightly for a minute and make a small heart shape with cookie cutter.
- Decorate with melted chocolate or nuts.
- You can refrigerate for a few mins and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Once the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and becomes a lumpy turn off the heat. If you allow the mixture to continue to cook at this stage, it will become hard and rubbery.
- You can store the mango Sandesh in an air tight container and place at room temperature for two days and in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- You can use ready made chenna too.
- There are a variety of molds with which one can shape the Sandesh and decorate it with nuts like pistachios, almonds and cashew nuts.
- You can make a number of variations on the basic Sandesh recipe by flavoring it with rose, strawberry, pineapple, saffron, cocoa powder (chocolate Sandesh).
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.Hate to miss a recipe? Like my Facebook to stay updated!Like share and spread your love
4 thoughts on “MANGO SANDESH HEARTS”
Looks very tempting
[…] KI SABZI (MANGO CURRY)MANGO ROLL UPS (AAM PAPAD ROLL) , MANGO SANDWICH, MANGO MINT RAITA, MANGO SANDESH HEARTS, Mango Melody, Keri Ki Launji (Raw Mango Launji), Fresh Mango Pickle (Katki Ka Achhar), Eggless […]
[…] Traditionally Sandesh is made with fresh homemade channa and sugar. I add some mango pulp in this recipe to give a twist.MANGO SANDESH HEARTS […]