Hara bhara is one of my favorite dishes. I had been looking up to try this recipe from a lot many days but always wondered how to get the green color. I searched on the net and I found that if we add green veggies it would give a natural green color.refered to the recipe of Hara bhara kabab in few books and sites and came up with this method.
I made it in heart shape as to give it a valentine theme.
Hara bhara kebab gets its name by the healthy green spinach used in this recipe. With spinach, any green vegetables can also be added in this recipe including potato and paneer. It is great evening snack recipe and also can be an evergreen party starter and also good for kids who hate green vegetables.
1 bunch palak leaves/spinach
2 tsp oil
1 green chili / Hari Mirch, finely chopped
1 capsicum, finely chopped
¾ cup beans, chopped
¾ cup peas, fresh / frozen
2 potato, boiled and grated
¾ cup paneer/cottage cheese, crumbled
3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp suji /rava
1tbsp peanuts crushed
½ tsp Kashmiri chili powder / Lal Mirch powder
½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
1 tsp amchur / dry mango powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
¼ tsp turmeric / Haldi
salt to taste
1 cup suji and 1/2 cup sesame seeds to coat
8 cashews, halved
oil for deep frying/shallow frying
- firstly, blanch palak leaves by boiling palak for 2 minutes in water.squeeze off excess water and keep aside.
- In a large kadhai heat oil and add green chili.also, add capsicum and saute till the moisture disappears.
- further, add beans and peas saute well, transfer to the blender and allow to cool completely.
- blend to the coarse paste along with blanched palak, transfer the blended paste into a large mixing bowl.
- also add grated potato, paneer and coriander leaves.
- further, add corn flour and suji. add in the spices and salt. mix well.
- grease hands with oil and make small patties, sesame and with the help of cookie cutter make heart shapes.
- cover the patties with sesame seeds mixture and garnish with cashew.
- Grease your palms with oil and divide mixture into 8 equal portions.Take each portion and give it a heart shape using a cookie cutter.press it gently between your palm to flatten.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in a nonstick pan or non-stick Tawa over medium flame. when the pan is medium hot, put tikis at a time and shallow fry until bottm surface turns light brown, it will take around 3-4 minute .
- Flip each green tikki and shallow fry another side until light brown.
- Transfer each kabab to a plate, serve hara bhara kabab with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- The spinach has to be blanched and has to be squeezed to remove the water content otherwise kebab may not hold its shape while deep frying.
- Secondly, I have added corn flour and Suji to the vegetable dough. both are important as they helps to absorb the moisture and binds it properly.
- Tikkis are shallow fried to use less oil but you can deep fry them to better crispness and taste .For deep frying , keep oil on medium flame and deep fry until golden brown.If you deep fry tikkis over low flame, they will seprate in oil and if you deep fry them over high flame, they will turn brown immediately.
- In addition to fresh vegetables, I have even added crumbled paneer. this helps to bind all the vegetables and obviously adds a great taste to kebab.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.