Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and I often use them in my desserts to add taste and color.
Since it is available for a very short time I always like to freeze some. It comes in real handy for desserts and drinks.
This time I am happier because I have grown my own strawberries at my kitchen garden.
One of the most common and must make meetha is Kheer. It is basically a pudding of rice cooked in full cream milk, seasoned and garnished with dry fruits.
But, the cooking ghost inside me always looks for the best twist to be given to the traditional sweets.One such beautiful recipe with a twist that can be made easily at home without any fuss is Strawberry Kheer. Isn’t it exciting!!
Strawberry kheer is one such dessert. Just the addition of strawberries to a kheer takes the taste to an all new level.
Strawberry Kheer tastes best when chilled. The most ideal part of this kheer is that sauce can be prepared a day ahead and assembled while serving.
Do try out this recipe to surprise yourself, your family and friends this season, and I am sure you will like it.
1 cup, strawberries, chopped
5 cups, full cream milk
1/4 cup, rice, washed and soaked for 15 to 20 mins
2/3 cup, sugar, you may add more if more sweet preferred
2 tsp, cardamom powder
Chopped dry fruits and sliced strawberries for garnish
- In a heavy bottom pan, add strawberries, sugar and 1/4th cup of water. Bring it to boil, simmer until it reaches thick sauce consistency. Reserve.
- In another heavy deep bottom pan, add 4 cups of milk. Put it on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, add rice and mix well. Simmer until it reduces to 3/4th of its original quantity, the rice gets cooked and kheer gets thick.
- Add half of the prepared strawberry sauce and cardamom powder. Mix well. Simmer the kheer for another 2 to 3 mins.
- Take it off the heat and cool completely.
- Refrigerate the kheer until you want to serve.
- While serving to pour the kheer into serving bowls, top it with the spoonful of remaining strawberry sauce in each serving bowl.
- Garnish with few slices of strawberries along with some chopped dry fruits.
You are sure to relish the unique and thoroughly enjoyable flavor and texture of this Strawberry Kheer. Serve it chilled.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.