Smooth, silky and a really good recipe of Mango Kesari.
One more mango recipe.I can’t resist myself when it comes to mangoes
because mango season doesn’t come again and again.
My daughters like halwa. The school has started, favorite and my mind is back on its duty to present favorite dishes.
This mango halwa recipe is just exactly the way we make halwa. The only addition is of mango pulp. so what you get is a halwa with mango taste, flavors, and aroma.This is quick simple and easy summer dessert.
If you like mangoes and wanted to try different recipes using it then have to look at my collection of mango recipes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
(1 cup = 250 ml)
for mango puree:
1 medium to large sized Alphonso mangoes OR ¾ cup chopped mangoes
1/2 cup sugar, OR add as required
1 pinch saffron
seeds from 3 green cardamoms
3 tablespoons ghee or any neutral flavored oil
1 cup rava or sooji (cream of wheat)
1.5 cups water
dry fruits – cashews, raisins, charoli (chironji) as required
- Making mango puree:
take 1 medium to large sized alphonso mango or any variety of mango.
chop it and add the mango pieces in a blender or mixer jar.
you will need about¾ cup of chopped mangoes.
- powder the cardamom and discard the husks.
- heat ghee or oil in a thick bottomed pan.add the sooji or rava and fry till they change color and you get a lovely aroma.(this is an important step and if the sooji is not roasted well, the halwa will become sticky or lumpy.)
- add dry fruits and continue to fry for a few minutes.
- heat 1.5 cups of water separately.
- add the boiling hot water in a slow stream. be careful as the mixture splutters.as soon as you add the hot water, quickly begin to stir the halwa, so that lumps are not formed. for best results use a wired whisk while stirring.
- add milk and sugar, continue to stir.
- the semolina absorbs both water and milk and will swell.
- you have to stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick at the bottom of the pan.
- after 1 or 2 minutes, add mango pulp.stir again well and ensure that the mango pulp is mixed well.
- add cardamom powder and saffron.stir till the moisture reduces.
- cover with a lid and cook for 1 or 2 mins more.
- garnish mango halwa with Mango Rose.
serve the mango halwa hot, warm or even cold.
- An addition of sugar depends on the sweetness of mango and your taste buds. so do add sugar as per your requirement.
- 1/2 cup sugar makes the Mango Kesari just sweet. for more sweetness, add ¼ cup sugar extra.
- milk can be used instead of water.
- dry fruits of your choice can be added.
- more ghee can be used if required.
- if using mango puree, then you can use an approx ½ cup of mango puree.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.