chakli or Chakri are made as a part of the Diwali faraal (Diwali snacks & sweets) in Maharashtra and Gujarat. there are many versions of making chakli. sharing today a recipe of whole wheat flour chakli.
This recipe calls for whole wheat flour. It makes the fried snack little dense. so to make it less dense or light in texture, I have steamed the flour in a pressure cooker before making chakli. By this steaming technique, chakli will be crispy, light yet melts in your mouth texture.
wishing happy Diwali to all. have a prosperous, fun-filled and safe Diwali.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (chapati atta)
1 tablespoon Ginger-Green Chilli Paste
1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds (til)
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
3/4 cup (or as needed) Curd or Yogurt
1½ tablespoons Oil + for deep frying
Salt to taste
- Transfer whole wheat flour into a small container with a lid which can easily fit into the pressure cooker and close the lid. Take a 3-liter capacity steel/aluminum pressure cooker. Pour 2 cups water in it and place a metal stand. Place the container filled with flour over the metal stand.
- Close the pressure cooker and steam it for about 15 to 18 minutes over medium flame (or 4,5 whistle ).Turn off the flame and let it cool for 5-7 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker lid and remove the container carefully (use the cotton napkin or oven gloves).Open the lid of a container.
- Transfer steamed wheat flour to a large wide-mouthed bowl. Sieve it and discard all small and large lumps.
- add ginger-chili paste,seasme seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder,1/2 cup curd ,oil, and salt.Mix well.
- bind the hard dough.the quantity of curd (as needed) to bind the dough .the quantity of curd required to bind the dough depends on the quality of flour.
- Take a chakli/ sev maker machine and chakli mold .greese the inside wall of chakli machine and chakli mold with oil.
- place chakli mold in the machine .fill it with the dough and close the lid .the machine is now ready to make chaklis.Grease plate/aluminum foil or use butter paper to make spirals.
- Prepare raw chaklis by moving the machine in spiral motion with one hand while twisting the handle of a machine and another hand.Make as small or as large spirals as you like.
- heat oil over medium flame .check whether oil is hot enough or not by dropping a small portion of dough into the hot oil .if it immediately comes to the surface without changing the color oil is ready.
- when oil is ready to add 4-5 chaklis and deep fry them until crispy and golden brown.
- wheat flour chakli is ready.
- Don’t skip steam cooking the wheat flour.this process makes chakli crispy yet melt in the mouth .