Mathri is one of the most popular desi snacks of north India. I have given a twist to the Mathri By adding the Beetroot. It makes Mathri more attractive and healthy. Enjoy the Mathri Recipe and share your views.
I have never had a beetroot mathri anywhere. But my exploring self, pampered me to do so. And the outcome was these bright pink beauties.
So I added beet juice to the flour, which makes it even more healthier. They not only look gorgeous but taste awesome too. For me, mathris are always darn delicious.
These also make a great snack for picnics. Basically, mathris are the perfect snack anywhere or anytime.
Prep Time 20 Min
Cook Time 20 Min
2 Cup Maida
1/2 cup Beetroot puree
1/2 cup suji
1tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
Salt, 1tsp sesame seeds
1tsp chili flex
3 tbsp oil
oil for frying
- Cut the beetroot and boil it. Grind the Beetroot and make a paste.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add all-purpose flour, suji, carom seeds, chilliflex, salt and 3 tbsp oil.
- Mix everything well while rubbing the oil evenly into the flour with your fingertips.
- The whole mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add ¼ cup of beet juice at a time and knead the dough.
- Knead into a stiff dough. Add more juice and water if needed.
- Cover the mathri dough with the damp cloth and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Roll them out, not too thin, and use a cookie cutter or lid to remove a circle from the middle.
- please see pictures.
- Use a knife or fork to make gashes on the circular disc that remains, the purpose is to not let it puff up so it will become crisp.
- Heat the oil and deep fry the mathri in low flame. Cook for 7 minutes.
- The mathris should never be fried in a very hot oil. they become browned quickly from the outside but do not get cooked from inside.
- The oil should be kept on a low to medium flame. hence, the mathris take a longer time to fry than other fried Indian snacks or pooris.
- you could also warm the ghee or oil and add to dough for more flakiness.the mathri dough should be firm and not soft.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Like my Facebook to stay updated!
Like share and spread your love ❤️