This combination of Palak and paneer will never fail us. Be it the usual subzi or soup, this combination is a favourite to many of us. So here is a bright green-hued soup, dotted with cottage cheese and mildly flavoured with black pepper. This is a very healthy soup and perfect for weight watchers too.
This spinach and paneer soup can be a quick, hot meal providing you with plenty of nutrients.
Spinach or palak is rich in fibre, folic acid and iron whereas paneer or cottage cheese can load you up with protein. Consuming spinach can also be one of the best ways to get a healthy range of antioxidants. The onion and black pepper add a wonderful, rich texture to this spinach-based soup making it very appealing to the palate.
1 cup paneer (cottage cheese), cut into a heart shape using a cookie cutter ️
1 cup finely chopped spinach (palak)
2 tbsp yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
2 tsp butter
salt and freshly ground black peppercorns (kalimirch) to taste
- Pluck the leaves of the palak. Wash and keep aside.
- Slice the onions into thin strips.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the paneer and gently sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the paneer is light brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Combine the moong dal, spinach, onions and 5 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the dal is cooked.
- Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth purée and strain it using a strainer.
- Transfer the purée to the same pan, add the salt, pepper and paneer pieces, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- You may add garlic too.