A tasty One-Dish Meals made of healthy jowar, the Jowar and Vegetable Khichdi is also quite exotic due to the choice of veggies used in it.
Coloured capsicum brings in not just colour but also a host of beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, just as the whole grain makes the jowar khichdi rich in protein, fibre and iron.
1/2 cup whole Jowar (white millet)
1/4 cup finely chopped red capsicum
1/4 cup finely chopped yellow capsicum
1/4 cup finely chopped Onion
1/4 cup finely chopped Tomato
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/4 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
- Soak the whole Jowar overnight in enough water. Next day, drain all the water.
- Combine soaked and drainedJjowar, 1 cup of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep the cooked whole Jowar aside without draining the water.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, green chillies, Onion red, green, yellow capsicum and the Tomato and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add a little salt, cooked jowar (along with the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the water dries up, while stirring occasionally.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.