(without butter, cream, condensed milk and curd).
I usually make an orange cake using orange squash, but this time I tried an eggless, butterless orange sponge cake recipe using fresh orange juice.
I made this cake using whole wheat flour and also did not use condensed milk or curd, making it a must-try out the recipe for vegans too.
The cake came out very well with bursting orange flavour. I loved its colour, texture, flavour and above all, it was like pillow-soft to touch and eat.
I decorated the cake with my homemade orange sauce/glaze and my daughters liked it so much, it was hard to make them believe it was homemade.
Baking powder – 3/4 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2tsp
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Orange juice – 1 cup (Use fresh juice for best results)
Cooking oil – 1/3 cup ( use odourless oil, I used sunflower oil)
Salt – a pinch
Orange zest – 1/2 tsp (Use grated skin)
For orange Glaze
1cup orange juice
2 tsp cornflour
- In a wide bowl, sieve the maida, baking powder, soda and salt. Mix well.
- Add the orange zest to it. ( I grated the skin of an orange and mixed with the flour) Set aside.
- Grease a baking pan with oil or butter and sprinkle the maida all over the pan. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar, oil and orange juice. Use a whisk and stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves well.
- Add the flour to the oil mixture and mix it with a spatula or whisk in one direction.
- Do not overbeat the mixture. The cake will not rise. The batter should fall like a ribbon. This is the right consistency.
- Preheat the oven in convection mode at 180c for 10 minutes. Pour the batter in the baking pan and pat its bottom once for even distribution of batter.
- Now bake the cake in convection mode at 180c for 30-35 minutes
- Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the cake after 30 minutes
- If it comes out clean or with little crumbs, the cake is done. If u find the wet batter in the toothpick, bake the cake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Invert the pan in a plate after the cake is cooled down. Cut into slices and enjoy with Tea.
- Take orange juice in a pan and put it on medium flame.
- add sugar and stir continuously.
- Mix cornflour in 2 tsp of water and add it in orange juice mixture. After 4,5 minute when the mixture is thickened switch off the gas.
- your orange glaze is ready .decorate your cake with this.
- Please adjust the timing based on the convection oven.
- You can replace oil with softened butter.
- You can also use store-bought orange juice but the cake flavour will be less.
- No need to use water, curd or milk. Orange juice would do.
- Do not invert the cake as soon as u bake. The cake will break. If the cake doesn’t fall off easily, bake it for 2 more minutes.