Phirni is an easy traditional Indian rice pudding-like dessert which is prepared with full cream milk, basmati rice and sugar as the main ingredients.
Thandai Phirni is a twist on the traditional Phirni recipe which is a rice pudding and making it very Holi-ish by adding some Thandai Masala Powder to it. Here is how to make Thandai Phirni.
In this recipe of Phirni, we have given it a twist with the addition of thandai masala that is mixed along with the phirni.
1 litre Milk, full cream
1/4 cup Rice
1/2 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
2 tablespoons Thandai Powder
Pistachios, as required
Badam (Almond), as required
Saffron strands, few strands for garnishing
dried rose petals
- To begin with, Thandai Phirni, wash and soak the rice for about 1 hour.
- Drain and pat dry the rice on an absorbent cloth. Once blend the rice into a coarse phirni powder.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, add the milk and bring it to a boil. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat to low and add the ground rice to milk. You will notice that the milk will get thick after some time.
- Keep stirring the milk while it is simmering. Once it starts thickening, add the sugar and cardamom powder.
- Add the Thandai powder and keep stirring for another 5 to 10 minutes till the phirni mixture attains its full flavour and has an almost pudding-like consistency.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely. Pour the Thandai Phirni mixture into small earthen pots and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
- Garnish Thandai Phirni with chopped pistachios, almonds rose petals and saffron.