A simple, moist chocolate cake with a vegan ganache – for the chocoholic vegan!
It is easy, deeply chocolatey and moist. And like most oil cakes, it keeps well for days. You would never guess it was missing eggs or dairy! As good as any “regular” chocolate cake.
This is a really simple, yet very tasty cake. You can use rice flour or something other than wheat. You can also add chocolate chips and, or nuts.
P.S. Here I used whipped cream for decoration, but one can use vegan ganache in its place.
For the cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cups cocoa unsweetened
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
80 ml or 1/3 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vinegar
1 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 160 C/ 325 F . Butter and flour a 6 inch round pan. Line the bottom with parchment (optional).
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add all the wet ingredients – oil, vanilla, vinegar, water – and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 160 C/ 325 F for 30-35 minutes until top springs back when touched and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out dry.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.
- This cake keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Get to room temperature before serving.