Whole Wheat Bread Loaf Using Instant Dry Yeast
I always wanted to try bread at home with whole wheat flour. I searched many recipes on the internet and finally, I tried Tarla Dalal ji recipe and successfully nailed it.
I was on Cloud nine because, after so many tries, I finally got the bread right. My family loved it, they literally had it in every meal.
Whole wheat bread made from whole wheat flour is healthier than its refined flour counterpart, also has a rustic aroma and flavour, which are thoroughly enjoyable
Hence it’s always better to make your whole wheat bread at home. Nothing beats the joy of baking your own 100% whole wheat bread.
For Whole Wheat Bread
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 tbsp instant dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil or
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for sprinkling
butter for brushing
- For whole wheat bread To make whole wheat bread, combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add the olive oil and knead very well till the dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough is double in size.
- Sprinkle the whole wheat flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well using both your hands. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle little whole wheat flour as required.
- Tap the dough with your fingers and spread it to make a 250mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll and place it in a greased bread loaf tin.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Brush the whole wheat bread loaf with butter and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once the whole wheat bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould it and keep aside to cool completely.
- Once the whole wheat bread loaf has cooled completely, cut it into 13 mm. ( ½“) bread slices.
- Serve or use the whole wheat bread as required.
- You can use olive oil instead of butter to get a more authentic aroma , but if that is not available you can always bake atta bread with regular soft butter.
- Ensure that the water to which you add the yeast is luke warm. If it is too hot or cold, the yeast will not get activated, and your whole wheat bread will not have the proper texture.
- Sugar has multiple roles in bread making. One being it acts as a food for yeast and helps in creating carbon dioxide and alcohol. It also enhances the flavour of the bread, retains the moisture content and give a crumbly texture and golden crust to the whole wheat bread.
- Pre heat your oven 10 minutes before you bake.