Masala Pori – A quick and an easy snack prepared with puffed rice and simple spices to curb those hunger pangs. It is an excellent side for your tea/coffee.
As we are at home all the time, we tend to snack more.
We would be checking our groceries to find if we have any snacks or if we can make simple snacks with available groceries at home.
This yummy Piri Piri Masala Pori is the perfect option for you…It can be made in a short time and is not just tasty, but very healthy.
Whatever spice you add, try not to skip the peanuts and the roasted gram/ daliya.
1 tbsp oil
Five curry leaves
2 tbsp roasted gram
2 tbsp peanuts
1 tsp Piri Piri masala ( I used keys brand here)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Puffed Rice
- In a pan, heat the oil. When it is hot, reduce the heat to low and add the curry leaves, roasted gram, and peanuts. Roast it for 30 seconds.
- Then add the Piri Piri and turmeric powder and mix.
- Fry for 30 seconds and then add the puffed rice. Gently stir to coat the masala evenly. Then add the salt.
- Now roast it over low (on the number scale I have it at 3) heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
After two to three minutes, try tasting the puffed rice and if its crispy turn off the heat, if not roast for a couple more minutes.
- Allow it cool for a bit and store it in an air-tight container. Serve it with tea or coffee or relish it as a snack to curb that hunger pangs.
- Adjust the salt and spices according to your preference.
Make sure you are roasting the puffed rice on low flame to avoid the burning. Also, do not cook for more than five/six minutes.
- Spice Variations in Masala Pori:
You can make this masala pori with your favourite spice combination. I went with my daughter’s fav Piri Piri masala, but you can spice it up with red chilli powder, sambar powder, rasam powder, smoked paprika, chipotle chilli, what not? The list goes on.