My sister in law makes amazing Moongdal halwa and I really wanted to learn how to make it. And yay, I did it, from her recipe.
Yellow Split Moong Dal – 1/2 cup levelled
Sugar – 1/2 cup heaped
Ghee – 1/4 cup melted(1/8 cup +1/8 cup)
Water – 1 1/2 Cup
water 1 cup for sugar syrup
Pistachios – few
Saffron – few strands
- Soak moong dal in water till immersing level, soak for at least 2 hrs. Drain water, transfer to a mixer jar.
- Grind it to a semi-fine paste not too coarse or not too fine.
Sprinkle little water if the mixer gets stuck up, but do not add more water.
- In a saucepan add sugar and water along with saffron. Bring it a boil stir well until sugar completely dissolve till one string consistency(chashni) and set aside to cool.
- Now in another pan, take 1/8 cup of ghee, add moong dal paste keep stirring in low flame. It will become dry.
- It will look like putty, this will take at least 20mins in low flame. Keep stirring. At this stage, the raw smell should have gone and it will give a roasted nutty aroma. This is the right stage, add water.
- Keep stirring without any lumps. Let it boil for 2mins.
- It will start to thicken, keep cooking. Add remaining ghee(1/8 cup) a tbsp at a time
- Now, add sugar syrup and stir until halwa absorbs the syrup.
Keep cooking and adding ghee, at one stage it will leave the sides of the pan and form a lump, this is the right stage. Switch off. It will thicken further after cooling down.
- Serve hot/warm.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!Like, share and spread your love ❤️