Sweet and sour Date Tamarind Chutney (Khajur imli ki chutney ) is a must-have dip or stir in the mix for many Indian snacks.
The jaggery, cumin powder and red chilli powder give it a sweet and spicy kick.
A quintessential element in most chaats.
1/4 cup Seedless Tamarind ( imli)
1/2 cup seedless dates
1/2 cup jaggery ( gud)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp black salt
salt to taste
3 cups hot water
- Chop dates into small pieces. Grate or chop jaggery into small pieces.
- Soak chopped dates in 3- cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Add tamarind to soaked dates and boil them together over low flame approx 8-10 minute or until dates become soft and tender.
- Turn off the flame and let them cool for 10 minutes. Transfer Tamarind, dates and water to a mixer jar and blend until a smooth puree .place strainer over a bowl and pour the puree over it.
- Strain puree through the strainer using the backside of spoon to push it through strainer . Discard any residue and transfer it to the same pan .
- Add jaggery and salt, stir until jaggery is dissolved. Boil over medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Turn off the flame, add red chilli powder and cumin powder and salt to taste.
- Let it cool at room temperature and transfer to a jar or bowl.
- You can store in it an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month .
- Enjoy with your favourite chaat.