Rava Cake | Sooji Cake | Semolina Cake, call it what you may, is a sweet, dense and moist, delicious tea time cake. It can also be enjoyed for a quick snack.
Rava cake is really easy to make at home, does not require any special equipment or expertise, which makes it a perfect beginner’s cake .
Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients and bake the cake to golden perfection ! That’s about it .
I love the rava cake from Iyenger bakery I first tasted it in Pune when I went to visit my sister. Being an indori, I’m a total foodie; so when I found the recipe for rawa cake, I was all set to bake one myself!
I used Ajanta company’s baking powder for the same and the result was amazing.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE TRIED AND TESTED EGGLESS BAKES FROM MY BLOG EGGLESS COCONUT CAKE OATS SEMOLINA GHEE RESIDUE CAKE EGGLESS JAMUN CAKE WITH JAMUN ICING /JAVA PLUM CAKE EGGLESS ORANGE CAKES
- 1 & 1/4 cups fine rava/sooji/semolina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flavorless oil
- 1/2 cup non sour yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp butter extract optional
- 1/2 cup tutti frutti (candied fruit) or chopped nuts
- 1 tsp flour, to coat the tutti frutti
- Grease an 8-inch cake tin with little oil or oil spray and dust with flour to coat the pan. Use a parchment paper to line the base of the tin. I used a cake tin with a removable bottom.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt, whisk the dry ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
In another bowl, measure out the tutti-frutti, add a teaspoon of flour to coat them. Set aside.
- In a sufficiently large bowl, add yogurt, whisk it well to get rid of any lumps. Then add milk, oil, sugar, clear vanilla and butter extracts. Whisk well to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add the semolina to the liquid ingredients, mix well, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the semolina will have absorbed the liquid, the batter will become thicker. After about 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C, position a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Now, add the flour mixture prepared in step 2 along with the coated tutti frutti, fold in gently with a spatula, until no more flour pockets are visible. Do not over mix the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking tin. Bake in the middle rack, for about 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a rack in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Then remove from the tin and cool on the rack completely. Cut into desired pieces and serve.
3. You can use a 6-inch, 7-inch round or square baking pan, baking time will vary. Keep a tab after 30 minutes.
4. If you have the coarse variety of semolina, simply pulse it 4-5 times in the blender and use in this recipe.
5. You may substitute oil with melted butter or melted ghee.