Shahi Tukra or shahi toast is a popular Indian dessert made with bread, milk, and sugar. As the name suggests, it is a royal indulgence, having its roots in Mughlai Cuisine.
Baked Shahi Tukra Recipe is a bit low on calorie version of this popular Mughlai dessert. We tried cutting down few calories in the recipe by using the grilled whole-wheat bread slices instead of deep-fried one and second, skipping soaking bread slices in sugar syrup. How did we do that? You can find the recipe below.
Trust me, the baked shahi tukra is truly delicious, and gratifying. And the bonus bonanza is – it takes less time to get ready, involves fewer cooking steps, and helps you cut down a few calories.
So enjoy this sweet and flavorful dish, like you’re royalty!
Ingredients for Rabri
- 1 litre full-cream milk (full fat milk)
- 1/4 Cup Khoya /mawa (evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands (kesar)
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 1/4 Cup granulated white sugar or to taste
Ingredients For Toast:
- 6 whole wheat bread slices
- Ingredients for the garnish
- 1 tablespoon pistachio sliver
- 1 tablespoon almond sliver
- 1 tablespoon edible rose petals
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add saffron, cardamom powder, and crumbled khoya or mawa. Stir to combine.
- Allow the milk to simmer over low heat. Stir to regular intervals to avoid burning the milk.
- Let the milk simmer till it reduces to almost half the original quantity and has a thick, creamy consistency. This might take 15 – 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Add sugar to the thick milk. Stir to dissolve. Taste, and if required, add more sugar. Turn off the heat. Rabri is ready. Set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celcius for 10 minutes. Grease a baking tray with a teaspoon of ghee.
- Remove the edges of the bread slices. Cut each bread slice into two equal halves diagonally. Arrange the bread slices in the greased baking tray.
- Bake the bread slices in the oven till they turn crisp. In my oven, it takes 5 – 6 minutes.
Assemble Shahi Toast:
- Arrange the toasted bread slices in a baking dish with no or minimal gap in between each slice (refer to the image).
- Pour the prepared rabri or milk pudding over the bread slices in such a manner that each bread slice is evenly soaked in the flavored milk.
- Sprinkle pistachio and almond slivers and rose petals.
- Bake in the oven for 6 – 10 minutes in the middle rack.
- Serve Baked Shahi Tukra warm or chilled garnished with dry-fruits and rose petals.
- It is always best to use full cream or full-fat milk to make rabri.
- If you do not ae cardamom powder, crush 2 – 3 green cardamom pods and add them to the milk.
- You can use whole wheat bread slices as well to make baked shahi tukda.
- Do not bake the bread slices for too long as they might turn too hard and burnt.