Makhana Phirni is a creamy Indian style foxnut (lotus seed) milk pudding. It is a celebration of delicious phirni with caramelized apple and pomegranate. This phool makhana phirni is a low carb twist to the classic phirni recipe.
Foxnut or the phool makhana is the lotus seeds. The seeds are edible after processing and very high on nutrition.
The foxnut is a low carbohydrate substitute for rice in this phirni recipe.
Makhana is an important part of religious activities and is also consumed during fast. Makhana just like badam and walnut is rich in potassium, phosphorus and magnisum and is also really tasty.
For Makhana Phirni:
- 1 liter full-cream milk (full fat milk)
- 2 Cup lotus seeds (foxnuts/makhana)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (kesar)
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 1/2 Cup granulated white sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 Cup almonds (badam)
- 1/4 Cup pistachio
- 1/4 cup cashew nut
Ingredients for caramelized apple:
- 1 Cup diced apple
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate pearls
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
How To Make Kesar Makhana Phirni:
- Make a coarse powder of almonds and pistachio, and cashew nut in the blender. Set aside until required.
- In pan heat ghee and roast foxnuts for 5 minutes. Pulse in a blender once to make a coarse powder. Keep aside
- Take milk in a heavy-bottomed pan, add the cardamom powder and saffron strands. Boil on low flame. Keep on stirring at regular intervals.
- Once the milk is reduced to half the original amount add the foxnut powder and dry fruits powder. Stir to combine nicely.
- Allow the milk to simmer until it thickens and stir at regular intervals. Add the sugar, simmer the phirni for 3 – 5 minutes or till sugar is dissolved and then turn off the heat.
- Allow the phirni to cool down completely. Keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
How To serve:
- In a pan add apple and brown sugar and saute for 5-7 minutes till apples are coated in sugar and then leave it to cool.
- Divide an equal portion of makhana phirni into the serving bowls/glass Add some caramlized apples and pomegranate arils on it.
- Serve makhana phirni hot or cool as per your choice.
- It is best to use full fat milk for making creamy Indian desserts such as phirni.
- Stir the milk at regular intervals while simmering to avoid burning. Use a wooden spoon to stir the milk and phirni.
- Do not make a fine powder of dry fruit or foxnut. Keep it coarse in texture. One pulse in a food processor or blender is enough.
- Make sure to add sugar only after the phirni is nearly done.
- Phirni thickens in texture after cooling. Hence, adjust the consistency accordingly.
- Allow phirni to chill in the fridge for 4 – 5 hours or overnight before serving.