Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and healing properties makes this Golden Milk aka Haldi Doodh, an ideal drink to have when you are under the weather or just when you feel like having a comforting drink!
Since my version of golden milk is heavy on spices, here’s a list of spices that I have in my golden milk recipe:
✓ turmeric (of course!)
✓ green cardamom pods
✓ black peppercorns
✓ cinnamon stick
✓ fresh ginger
I love my haldi doodh with a lot of spices hence the long list. If you don’t want any spices, feel free to drink it just plain with milk and turmeric – just like I made for my husband. Simple milk + haldi only .
I hope you guys like my version of the humble haldi doodh. I always made this drink it at bedtime, I guess it helped in getting a sound sleep too. Whether you drink it at bedtime or any other time of the day, it definitely makes up for a comforting drink.
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 green cardamom pods slightly crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger cut into thin slices
- 5-6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice sugar, maple syrup, honey, adjust to taste
- cinnamon or cardamom powder to serve, optional
- Add milk to a pan on medium heat. After a minute or two (when the milk is little lukewarm) add turmeric powder to it.
- Then add crushed green cardamom pods, sliced ginger, black peppercorns and cinnamon stick.
- Add in the sweetener and whisk it all together and bring to a low simmer for 5 minutes. You don’t need to boil it but it should be nicely hot throughout.
- Remove pan from heat, cover pan with a plate or lid and let it sit for another 5 minutes for the flavors to steep in. Strain the golden milk using a strainer into serving cups.
- You may sprinkle with cardamom or cinnamon powder before serving.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!Like, share and spread your love