When it comes to food, winter always reminds me of 2 things – gajar halwa (carrot pudding) and matar ke parathe (green peas stuffed flatbread). These two vegetables are available in abundance during winters in my place and are made quite often in every household. Paratha is Indian flatbread which is made with whole wheat flour and stuffed with practically everything.
Peas stuffed Parathas are soft, delicious and quick Paratha recipe with mashed peas masala added as stuffing. Enjoy the hot peas stuffed paranthas with curd and pickle.
And so here it is my matar paratha recipe, exactly the way it’s made at my home.
- For Stuffing
- 3 cups green peas
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup coriander (dhania) leaves
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 3 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1tsp garlic finelly chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finelly chopped
- 1 tsp green chillies finelly chopped
- For the dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tsp salt
- water as required to make a dough
- ghee/ oil for frying
- Crush the green peas in a vegetable chopper ( you can crush in a mixture too )
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds crackle add the chopped garlic ,ginger and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Next add the green chillies and crushed peas. and stir fry for about 5to10 mins.
- Now add chopped green coriander, salt,red chilli powder and garam masala mix well.
- Make a dough from wheat flour (similar to the roti dough)
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions
- Roll out one portion into a small circular shape.
- Put 2 heaped tablespoons of this mixture in the rolled circle. cover sides. roll again into a paratha
- Place on a heated griddle. after about 30 seconds turn sides and apply oil . turn again, apply oil .
- Flip till both sides are spotted.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and coriander chutney.