Shahi tukda is one of the most popular Indian desserts.
It is a rich, royal Mughlai dessert of fried sugar syrup coated bread topped and soaked with fragrant creamy sweet thickened milk or rabri and garnished with dry fruits. My twist to this recipe-addition of strawberries, an innovative twist to the traditional Indian dish.
Thoda khatta, thoda meetha- best combo.
Recipe courtesy: Chef sanjeev kapoor
- Strawberries 16-17
- White Bread Slices cut into roundels 8
- Oil /ghee to deep fry
- Sugar 1 cup
- Saffron (kesar) a pinch
- Rose essence 1 teaspoon
- Rabdi as required
- For garnishing
- Few pistachios
- Heat sufficient oil/ ghee in a kadai and deep-fry bread roundels till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Cook together sugar and 1½ cups water in a non-stick pan. Add saffron and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Roughly chop 11-12 strawberries and grind into a purée. Add the purée to the sugar syrup and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat. Add rose essence and mix well.
- Add the bread slices to the pan and allow to soak till they become soft.
- Finely slice the remaining strawberries.
- For each portion place a soaked bread slice on a serving plate. Arrange strawberry slices on it and place another bread slice on them. Arrange some more strawberry slices. Top it with some rabdi. Garnish with pistachios and serve.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love