Shrikhand is a dessert that is popular in the Western states of India and is made with yogurt that has been hung in cheesecloth and strained until it is thick and creamy. The yogurt is typically flavored with saffron and cardamom, but you can also add Alphonso mango purée , strawberry, grapes etc.
Fusion of our authentic Shrikhand and plating it as parfait is the beauty of this recipe. First step is to prepare the shrikhand and then next, plate it (or shall i say glass it lol) along with biscuit crumbs, top with chopped fruits and put whipped cream on top!
For the shrikhand:
- 3 cups plain curd
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 tablespoon warm milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamom seeds, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon charoli seeds or pine nuts, plus more for topping
24 cookies (I prefer Britania marrie )
1/2 cup Chopped strawberries
For the vanilla whipped cream:
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the shrikhand, place a strainer over a bowl. Cover the strainer with 3 layers of cheesecloth.
- Pour the yogurt into the cheesecloth. Pull up all the corners of the cheesecloth and twist it tight. Place a plate and a heavy jar or can on top of the cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- The next day, add the saffron to the warm milk and let it bloom for 5 minutes. Remove the yogurt from the cheesecloth and place it into a medium bowl.(You can use ready made hung curd ( chakka ) too).
- Whisk in the powdered sugar, bloomed saffron and milk, and cardamom. Whisk until well incorporated. Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the yogurt and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- While the shrikhand is chilling, toast the pistachios and charoli seeds in a skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Once done, pour into a bowl and set aside to cool. Add the biscuits to a blender and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- After the shrikhand has rested, whisk the shrikhand for 2 minutes so it’s nice and fluffy. Spoon the shrikhand into a piping bag and snip off the tip of the bag so there is a 1-inch opening. Set aside.
- To make the whipped cream, add the cream, sugar and vanilla to a large cold bowl. Use a hand mixer to whip the cream on high for 5 minutes, until it forms stiff peaks. Spoon into a piping bag and snip off the tip of the piping bag so there is a 1-inch opening. Set aside.
To assemble the parfait, spoon 1/4 cup of the speculoos cookies crumbs into the bottom of each of 6 cups.
Pipe about 1/4 cup of the shrikhand on top of the cookie crumbs. Spoon 1 tablespoon of strawberries on top, and then top with whipped cream
Sprinkle the chopped pistachios and charoli seeds on top. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love