Chutneys are an essential part of an Indian household and there are many variants of it that go along with every dish, one such variant is the spicy and tangy tomato chutney.
Sweet and tangy relish prepared by cooking tomatoes with spices and sugar. The tangy taste of tomatoes combined with the bright red colour makes this chutney exceptionally palatable and appetizing.
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds / rai
- ½ tsp urad dal
- pinch of hing /asafoetida
- few curry leaves
- Take oil in pan, put mustard seeds, curry leaves, crushed garlic cloves and chopped ginger. Saute them together.
- Add tomatoes and mix along to make a thick paste
- Add salt and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until it reduces to a chutney-like consistency.
- Add sugar, black pepper, red chilli powder and mix well. Turn off the heat and keep aside to let it cool.
- allow the mixture to cool completely and then transfer to a small blender.
- further, blend to a smooth paste without adding any water.
- also prepare the tempering. heat oil in a small kadai.
- further, once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- allow the tempering to splutter.
- later, pour the tempering over tomato chutney.
- Transfer the chutney to a glass jar and store in the refrigerator.
- This chutney can be enjoyed with broccoli paratha, methi paratha, spinach paratha or with snacks of your choice.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Astha’s Kitchen on Facebook Astha’s Kitchen on Instagram
Like, share and spread your love