“Loved by all, this traditional Bengali sweet Rasgulla has soft and spongy balls made of fresh paneer and dipped in sugar syrup. You just cannot resist have more than one!
- 2 Litre low fat milk (Refrigerated overnight, boiled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (mixed in 1/4 cup water)
- 1 tsp refined flour (maida) or semolina
- 4 cups thin sugar syrup (flavored with cardamom or rosewater or kesar )
- Remove whatever cream that forms over the milk.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and add the lemon mixture gradually, till milk curdles.
- Does not matter if you do not use up the whole solution.
- Shut off the heat and leave mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
- Drain off water and leave the paneer in a colander for at least 4 hours.
- Mash paneer very smooth (no grains).
- Add the flour/semolina and mash some more.
- Bring 4-6 cups of water to a boil, and shape the paneer into balls (smooth ones, no cracks) in the mean time.
- I am a big fan of heart shape so make heart shape rasgullas .
- I just flattened the balls and make heart shape using cookie cutter .
The size of this balls will increase to almost double after boiling in sugar syrup, so remember to make smaller sizes than the rasgullas to end up as.
- When it comes to rolling boil, gently drop prepared balls in it. Just put the lid over cooker, do not use whistle.
- After about 5 minutes, remove the lid and stir it gently with a spatula.
- Again cover it with lid and let it boil over medium-high flame for 7-8 minutes, stir it gently once in between. Remove lid and turn off the flame.
- The size of balls has increased to almost double and they are spongy too. They will shrink a little after turning off the flame but it is normal. (If it shrinks too much then its an indication that something has gone wrong)
- Transfer them to a large bowl. Cool completely, add crushed pistachios on top and refrigerate rasgulla in syrup until ready to serve !
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Astha’s Kitchen on Facebook Astha’s Kitchen on Instagram
Like, share and spread your love