Assam is situted in North Eastern part of India with natural beauty, this mesmerizing state is blessed with beautiful hils, forest, valleys and the mighty river Brahmaputra.
Assamese people are very simple to get to know and their cuisine is also as simple as much and very easy to cook.
Authentic Assamese cuisine is excellent for health as it uses very small amount of oil,ghee or spices though this cuisine is somewhat rustic and blend.
Gurer Payesh Recipe is a simple, delicious Assamese/ Bengali dessert made with rice, milk, bay leaf and date palm jaggery. The dish is pretty easy to make and the outcome is really creamy tempting bowlful of dessert. jaggery gives this dish a unique taste.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 liter Milk
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 3 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1/2 cup Gur , (adjust)
- Mixed nuts , chopped and roasted, for garnishing
- 1/4 cup Deseeded Dates (chopped)
- To prepare Gurer Payesh Recipe, wash and soak rice for half an hour. Drain.
- Take milk in a heavy bottomed pan. Add bay leaf and cardamom. Heat the milk over a high flame.
- Once the milk starts to boil, simmer it and stir in between regularly so that milk doesn’t stick to bottom or char.
- Once the milk thickens a bit, add the drained rice, mix. Continue to stir in between.
- Once the rice is almost done, switch off.
- Add the jaggery. Stir slowly and take care that the milk doesn’t curdle.
- Now add the chopped cashewnuts, chopped dates and cook everything well until the rice gets cooked well, take care to stir constantly.
- Switch on and bring to boil just once. Finish off adding chopped nuts.
- Allow the Gurer Payesh Recipe cool down completely, and serve chilled, for dessert.