Saffron and Apple Rice Kheer is a rich, creamy, and sweet dessert. You will love the flavors of cardamom and rose water that compliments this dessert perfectly. Rice kheer topped with apple sauce is a perfect and unique fusion for festive seasons.
A plain rice kheer can also be served with your favorite jam as a topping. You can also drizzle one of your favorite sauces like caramel, chocolate, or strawberry. Yes, it is that versatile.
You can also check my other kheer recipes PAAN KHEER/ BETEL LEAVES KHEER, STRAWBERRY – KHEER, Kesari Kheer (Chawal Ki Kheer)
- ¼ cup basmati rice or Jeera rice
- 1 litre fresh milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- For soaking saffron
- ¼ teaspoon saffron strands
- ¼ cup chilled milk
FOR APPLE SAUCE :
- 3 apples
- ¼ cup sugar white/brown
- ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Wash the rice until the water looks clear. This will take about 2 or 3 washes. Add fresh water and soak the rice for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Soak the saffron strands in ¼ cup of chilled milk for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1-liter fresh milk in a saucepan on medium flame. Once the milk starts to boil gently, add only the soaked rice and discard the water.
- Simmer the milk with rice on low flame for about 45 to 50 minutes. Keep stirring every 5 minutes to avoid the kheer from sticking to the bottom.
- After 50 minutes you will see that the milk mixture is now reduced to half. The kheer will now look thick and grainy. Add sugar, soaked saffron milk, rose water, and cardamom powder. Stir gently and simmer on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
FOR APPLE SAUCE:
- Peel and finely chop 3 apples. Cook the chopped apples with a half a cup of water, sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- Stir well, place the lid and cook on low flame for 20 minutes occasionally stirring.
- Once the water is dried and apples are cooked through, add a pinch of saffron soaked in water.
- Try to mash the cooked apple chunks with the ladle. Turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a single serving glass or bowl, layer the rice kheer and top it with a tablespoon of apple sauce. You can either serve it warm or chilled.
If you have tried this dish, kindly give the feedback in the comment section and send me your pics of tried dishes through email or DM on Instagram.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love