South Indian Lemon Rice with peanuts, curry leaves and fresh lemon juice. This flavorful rice is tangy, vibrant and crunchy. Makes a great quick meal and is also vegan.
This lemon rice recipe is very popular in South India. It’s tempered with spices like mustard seeds, curry leaves and has peanuts for the crunch and lemon juice for that tangy flavor.
It’s pretty straight forward to make and makes a great quick lunch or meal.
Now a days my Daughter takes tiffin and I keep searching new tiffin recipes just for them and both of them like lemon rice very much.
- Cooked Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1
- Curry Leaves – 1 string
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
- Groundnut – 2 tbsp
- Green Chillies – 2
- Red Chillies – 2
- Grated Ginger – 1 medium piece
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- Wash the rice and keep aside for 10 minutes. Add enough water with little salt and pressure cook upto 4 whistles.
Once the cooker cools down, transfer the rice on a plate and allow to cool down.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or kadhai.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal and 2 dried red chillies. Let them splutter.
- Add 10-12 cashew nuts and 14-16 peanuts. Roast them
- until light golden.
- Add 1 tsp grated ginger, 2 chopped green chillies and 10-12 curry leaves. Fry for few seconds until they become fragrant. Switch off the flame, add salt and 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp lemon juice and mix. Switch on the flame and add 2 cups of cooked rice. Mix everything.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with papad.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love