Eggless Whole Wheat Jaggery cake is an absolutely delightful tea time cake made with whole wheat flour & sweetened using jaggery powder. It is a healthy cake recipe as it has no maida, no butter & no refined sugar.
I used jaggery as sweetener in cake and was myself surprised as the cake smelled so good almost like a Christmas cake and the texture turned out so soft & fluffy. The combination of whole wheat flour & jaggery together gave subtle golden hints on the cake.
With the crunch from nuts, and slight bursts of sweetness from raisins, this whole wheat cake is a great option for guilt free indulgence without compromising on taste. This whole wheat jaggery cake is: Egg free, Made with whole wheat, Uses jaggery as sweetener,Loaded with nuts & raisins.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 & 1/2 cups
- Jaggery powder – 3/4 cup
- Yogurt (Curd) – 1/2 cup
- Sunflower Oil – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – A pinch
- Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Chopped Nuts & Raisins – 1/2 cup
- FOR CAKE TIN:
- Sunflower Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Wheat Flour – 1 tsp
- Take yogurt (curd) in a mixing bowl and add jaggery powder to it.
- Mix well till jaggery is completely dissolved. Add vanilla essence and oil to it and mix once again with a whisker. Keep this bowl aside.
- Prepare the cake tin for baking. Add 1/2 teaspoon of oil to baking tin. Brush it well with spatula. Add 1 tsp of flour to it and tap it from all directions.
- This will prevent our cake from sticking to base. Keep this tin aside.
- Chopped dry fruits & raisins in two parts. One which you are going to add in cake batter & the one which you will use as garnishing.
- To the part which you are going to add in batter, add 1/2 tsp of wheat flour and gently mix with spoon so that all nuts are coated with it. This will not let the dry fruits sink to the bottom. Keep these aside.
- Take a bowl/plate & sieve wheat flour, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder & baking soda in it.
- Keep these dry ingredients aside.
- Before we start mixing the wet & dry ingredients, set the oven for pre-heating at 180 degree Celsius. By the time our oven is preheating, lets move to next step.
- Add the dry ingredients & milk into the wet ingredients bowl gradually in 2 or 3 parts. The quantity of milk can slightly vary depending on the quality of wheat flour you are using. If the batter seems too thick add 1-2 tbsp of milk more.
- The batter should not be too thin or thick. Towards the end, add the flour dusted chopped nuts into the batter.
- Once the batter is ready, transfer it to the baking tin which we have prepared before. Garnish with some chopped nuts.
- Bake it in the oven at 180 degree Celsius for 35 minutes.
- Check its centre with a skewer or knife after the baking time is finished; it should come out clean else bake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Once baked, let the cake cool down in cake tin for 10-15 minutes. After that transfer it over a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy this soft spongy delicious whole wheat jaggery cake with tea/coffee or give them to kids without any guilt!! Store it in a airtight container in fridge.