Manchow Soup is another popular soup recipe from Indian chinese cuisine. This hot and spicy veg soup is perfect to serve as an appetizer or with the main course like hakka noodles or fried rice during cold winter days.
an easy and tasty indo chinese recipe made with finely chopped vegetables and chinese sauces. it is perhaps one of the sought after appetizer recipe, which is typically served just before the meal but can be served as a light meal for lunch and dinner.
In the Indian Chinese restaurants, the manchow soup is served with fried noodles. just to give a restaurant like flavor, I also added fried noodles. I was making both the soup and veg chowmein together and hence kept some noodles for frying. You can completely skip the fried noodles part and serve the soup as it is.
In restaurants, what they serve is a thick soup, which we do not prefer. So I add less corn starch in the soup. Thickness can be easily adjusted by adding more or less of corn starch.
- For fried noodles:
- 4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 pack hakka noodles
- 1 tsp cornflour
- oil (for frying)
- For soup:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 chilli (finely chopped)
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- ½ carrot (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp cabbage (finely chopped)
- ½ capsicum (finely chopped)
- 5 beans (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander stem (chopped)
- 4 cup water
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ¼ cup water (for slurry)
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped
- Fried noodles preparation:
- firstly, in a large vessel take 4 cup water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil.
- once the water comes to a boil, break in 1 pack hakka noodles.
- boil for 5 minutes or refer package instructions to know the cooking time.
- cook until the noodles turn al dente without overcooking.
- drain off the noodles and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- now add 1 tsp cornflour and mix gently.
- deep fry in hot oil by spreading noodles uniformly.
- stir occasionally, keeping the flame on medium.
- flip over and fry both sides until the noodles turn crisp.
- finally, drain off the crispy noodles and keep aside.
- Manchow soup preparation:
- firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil, saute 1 inch ginger, 2 clove garlic and 2 chilli.
- also, saute ½ onion until it shrinks slightly.
- now add ½ carrot, 3 tbsp cabbage, ½ capsicum, 5 beans and 2 tbsp coriander stem.
- stir fry for a minute without overcooking them.
- now pour 4 cup water and add ¾ tsp salt. mix well.
- boil until all the flavours are well absorbed.
- now add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp vinegar, ½ tsp pepper powder and 1 tsp chilli sauce. mix well.
- in a small bowl take 1 tsp cornflour and mix with ¼ cup water.
- pour the cornflour slurry and stir well.
- stir and boil until the soup thickens slightly and turns glossy.
- now add 2 tbsp coriander and give a good mix.
- finally, enjoy veg manchow soup recipe topped with fried noodles.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Astha’s Kitchen on Facebook Astha’s Kitchen on Instagram
Like, share and spread your love