A fragrant eggless orange almond cake that is moist, nutty and bursting with a tangy citrusy flavour!
This recipe is very special to me. It’s a really simple one but I’ve come to believe that there is no other fruit as suited for baking as an orange.
This recipe is without condensed milk,curd and it’s a vegan version too. I referred this recipe and used cooking oil to achieve the softness. Cake came out very well with bursting orange flavor. I loved its color, texture, flavor and above all it was like pillow soft to touch and eat.
I guess this cake can be made with wheat flour too. I must give a try. Lets see how to make this easy, low fat vegan orange cake recipe .
For this recipe, I used the juice of My hometown oranges or the Indian “santra” although. However use whatever is easily available to you. We have a farm of 500 orange trees in our hometown .
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1.5 cups ( Heaped)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Orange juice – 1 cup (Use fresh juice for best results)
- Cooking oil – 1/3 cup ( use odourless oil,i used sunflower oil)
- Salt – a pinch
- Orange zest – 1/2 tsp (Use grated skin)
- In a wide bowl,sieve the maida,baking powder,soda and salt.Mix well.Add the orange zest to it.( I grated the skin of orange and mixed with the flour) Set aside. Grease a baking pan with oil or butter and sprinkle the maida all over the pan.Keep aside.
- In another bowl,mix the sugar,oil and orange juice. Use a whisk and stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves well.
- Add the flour to the oil mixture and mix it with a spatula or whisk in one direction.Do not over beat the mixture. Cake will not rise.The batter should fall like a ribbon.This is the right consistency.
- Top this up with the almond flakes if using. You could also get creative and arrange the almonds in a pattern. I just don’t have that kind of patience so I just throw them on top.
- Preheat the oven in convection mode at 180c for 10 minutes.Pour the batter in the baking pan and pat its bottom once for even distribution of batter.
- Now bake the cake in convection mode at 180c for 30-35 minutes.Check the cake by inserting a tooth pick in the center of the cake after 30 minutes.If it comes out clean or with little crumbs,cake is done.If u find the wet batter in the tooth pick,bake the cake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Invert the pan in a plate after the cake is cooled down.Cut into slices and enjoy with Tea.
- Please adjust the timing based on the convection oven..
- You can replace oil with softened butter.
- You can also use store bought orange juice but cake flavor will be less.
- No need to use water,curd or milk.Orange juice would do.
- Do not invert the cake as soon as u bake.Cake will break.If the cake doesn’t fall off easily,bake it for 2 more minutes.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love