This Nankhatai recipe ( Indian Butter Cookies) is tender, crumbly and literally will melt in your mouth. It is made with 5 simple ingredients and infused with cardamom and nutmeg. These cookies are not very sweet so pairs perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee .
Diwali is just around the corner. This festival is all about lights, colors and good food. I am all pumped up to make various fried and baked Indian snacks like these Nankhatai’s EGGLESS FRUIT COOKIES (TUTTI FRUTTI COOKIES ) WHOLE WHEAT HEARTY NICE BISCUITS(Hearty whole wheat flour cookies) MELTING MOMENTS/ EGGLESS CUSTARD COOKIES Tutti Frutti Cookies and many more.
These make ideal gifts to share with family and friends as well.What are you making this Diwali?
I am fond of heart shape so desided to make this nankhatai in heart shape .
- ½ cup / 113 ml Ghee at room temperature not melted.
- ½ cup 60 grams Confectioners Sugar/Icing sugar see notes.
- 1 cup / 138 grams wheat flour.
- ½ cup / 52 grams Besan ( chickpea flour or chana dal atta)
- ¼ cup / 45 grams Rawa ( Semolina flour)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom (Elaichi powder)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg optional.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped Almonds
- Chopped Pistachios
- In a bowl whisk ghee and sugar with a spoon until creamy.
- Add in all the flours called for, cardamom, nutmeg & salt.
- Initially mix well with spoon then use your fingers and palm to rub the flour and put it together.
- Knead it until it forms a smooth dough.
- Rest the dough covered in the fridge for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Pre heat your oven at 350 deg F or 180 deg C.
- Divide the dough into two balls, flatten them and make heart shape using cookie cutter.
- Make crisscross lines on each cookie and put some chopped nuts in the centre if desired.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 17-19 minutes for large and 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies.
- Let the cookies cool down in the tray for at least 10 minutes. Then slowly take them out with help of a spatula.
- Let it completely cool before storing.