Palak khichdi is a one pot nutritious meal of mung lentils and rice with spinach (palak), onions, tomatoes, herbs and spices. This dish is easy to prepare as well as healthy.
- For pressure cooking:
- ½ cup rice (washed)
- ½ cup moong dal (washed)
- ¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
- 3 cup water
- For khichdi:
- 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 dried red chilli
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli (slit)
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- handful palak / spinach leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt”
- firstly in a kadai heat 1 tbsp ghee and saute 1 tsp cumin, 2 pods cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 bay leaf and 1 dried red chilli.
- also saute ½ onion, till they turn slightly golden.
- additionally, saute ½ tsp ginger garlic paste and 1 green chilli.
- furthermore, add 1 tomato and saute till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- add palak puree and cook for 5 minutes or till palak changes colour.
- further, add pressure cooked rice and moong dal.
- also, add 1 cup water and 1 tsp salt.
- simmer and boil for 5 minutes or till khichdi absorbs palak flavour.
- finally, serve palak khichdi hot topped with more ghee if required.
- firstly, to make palak dal khichdi slightly spicy, blend green chilli along with spinach.
- also, adjust the consistency of khichdi to your choice, however, it thickens once cooled
- additionally, add peanuts to tempering to enjoy the crunchy bites.
- finally, palak khichdi recipe tastes great and most healthy recipe for kids.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love