Presenting this red beauties for today.. This #sidedish made up of Karonda is not only an candy to the eyes but to the tongue too..
Karonda ki launji-karonda / Natal plum is a small sized berry which is sour in taste and grows abundantly on thorny bushes during monsoon season in India. Karonda ki launji is very easy to make and I prefer it with daal chawal or any stuffed parathas. It stays fresh for 7 days in the refrigerator.
- 250 gms Karonda/ Natal Plum
- 5,6 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Wash karond and slit into two to remove the hard brown seeds.
- Wash and chop green chilies into roundals.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds .
- When cumin start crackling add the chopped green chilies and karonda and saute for a minute.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and 3/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for few minutes till karonda become soft.
- Now add jaggery and simmer till the gravy thicken slightly, don’t over cook as it thicken further when it cool down completely.
- You can also skip adding red chili powder if you want to make it sweet and tangy .
- Store in a glass jar when it cool down completely.
- This launji easily stays well in the refrigerator for approx 7 days and on room temperature it stays well for 3-4 days.
- Serving suggestion- Goes well with rice, roti or any snack.
- You can slightly adjust the quantity of jaggery according to your preference.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.
Hate to miss a recipe? Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love