Amla pickle- a Healthy and delicious Indian gooseberry pickle
Amla /amlaki /Nellikka or Indian Gooseberries are packed with nutrients, It is a very good source of Vitamin C and have antioxidant properties.It is very easily available during winters so we have to consume it in different ways.It have vitamin C so it is very good to consume during cold ,good for digestion and as it is very easy to digest.
Amla have a peculiar tangy sour taste so it taste very good in pickles and chutnyies . Every winter I make this amla pickle and many other recipes with amla like –
- 400 gms Indian Gooseberry /amla
- 3 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 40 gms Salt / Namak
- 1.5 cup Oil
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Green Chili – 100 gram
- Wash and wipe amla properly.
- Steam cook them for about 5-7 minutes.
- Separate the segments and remove the seed from amla .
- Dry roast mustard seeds,fenugreek and fennel seeds for 2-3 minutes and then grind coarsly
- Heat 1/2 cup mustard oil to a smoking point and then let it come to normal temperature.
- Add the ground spices and all the other powdered spices in the oil
- Now add the amla segments in it and green chillies and mix well.
- Fill the pickle in a sterlized glass jar and keep it in sun light for 2 days.
- Now heat about 1 cup of oil and let it cool down completely
- Pour this oil in the jar and rest for 4-5 days .
- Enjoy the pickle with rice or any Indian bread
- If possible don’t make this pickle in a big batch as it become soft after some time .so I prefer to make small batches of this pickle as it is available easily during winters.
- The pickle change the color after some times and turns slightly greenish due to oxidation but is fine to consume .
- You can use ready made achar masala too.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen
. I would love to hear your feedback. Hate to miss a recipe?
Follow my Facebook or Instagram page to stay updated!
Like, share and spread your love