Spiced cooling raita made with phool makhana or fox nut.I added a twist to this recipe by adding basil leaves which gave a pretty fresh outlook to the raita.
I often pair it with a raita in the summers. So I make different types of raita just to have some newness and variety in the food.
This makhana raita is interesting raita. I did not know raita can be made with makhana too. It was only when I was browsing web, that I came to know about this healthy raita in taral dalal’s page . I added a twist to this recipe by adding basil leaves which gave a pretty fresh outlook to the raita. I first felt it would have a similar taste like Boondi raita. but it did not taste like boondi raita. It tasted even better than boondi raita. Do give it a try.
- 1 cup fresh chilled yogurt (curd)
- ⅔ cup makhana (phool makhana or fox nut or eurayle ferox)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
- Heat a small frying pan or kadai/wok and add 2/3 cup phool makhana in it.
- On a low flame dry roast the phool makhana till they become crunchy and crisp. Stir at intervals while roasting. Take them in a plate and allow to cool.
- Then coarsely crush them with a rolling pin in a zip lock bag or in a mixer or dry grinder.
Making Makhana Raita :
- Whisk 1 cup fresh chilled curd/yogurt in a bowl.
- Spice the curd with 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder and sugar . Season also with black salt. Stir very well.
- Then add the coarsely crushed phool makhana in the spiced curd.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped basil leaves.
- Stir and serve phool makhana raita immediately. If you chill the raita further, it thickens slightly. So you can add some water to thin the raita.