Dishes prepared from Til (Sesame seeds) provide heat and energy to the body which are both necessary to beat the cold in January. Ladoo made with Til and Gur (jaggery) mixed together is definitely prepared on Makar Sankranti. Til gur ladoo is also called Tilkud. It is very easy to make these Ladoo.
Til(sesame seeds) – 500 grams/4 cup
Gur (jaggery) – 500 grams
Ghee – 2 tsp
- Clean the sesame seeds properly.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan (kadhai) on a medium flame, while stirring continuously roast sesame seeds till they turn light brown (if you crush it with hands seed should turn to powder).
- Do keep in mind not burn sesame seeds as they tend to burn instantly giving them a bitter taste. Take out the roasted sesame seeds and grind lightly or put it in a mixer and make it a coarse powder.
- Break off Gur into small pieces. Pour 1 spoon Ghee in a pan and heat.
- Now melt Gur on a low flame, turn off the instant Gur melts.
- Put the crushed roasted sesame seeds in the melted Gur and blend well. Til Gur mixture for making Ladoos is ready.
- Apply Ghee with hands and make mixture smooth.
- Take a little amount (about 1 tbsp) of mixture at a time (mixture has to be hot for making Ladoo, as mixture turns rigid when cold hence, making it difficult to make Ladoos).
- Make round shaped Ladoo and place it on a plate, similarly make Ladoos of the remaining mixture and place them on the plate.
- Til gur ladoo is ready to eat. Keep the Ladoos prepared in open air for 4-5 hours and when they turn try store them in an air tight container.
- You can take Tilkud out of the container whenever you crave for something sweet to eat.
Notes: You can make round ladoos of the mixture and wrap them in the grated almonds. Shape them with your hands and place them on a plate. White, tempting Ladoos are ready.
Thank you for visiting Astha’s Kitchen. I would love to hear your feedback.